Enter to win a Signed/Personalized copy of Fever by Lauren DeStefano here

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Well Perkins does it again, she's created the sweetest and most realistically relatable love story. I didn't think I could love another story half as much as I loved Anna and the French Kiss, but Lola was just as amazing. Its a completely different story, so it would be unfair to compare the two, but I fell just as much in love with the story and characters from Lola as I did with Anna.

I absolutely loved Lola's character. Normally, I'm so invested in the male love interest that I forget to connect with the girl, but with this book Lola completely captures my focus. She's creative, eccentric, bold, and care free. Since I'm a typically shy and introverted girl, I was fascinated with Lola's personality and individuality. She's like no character I've ever read before. And then when Lola is with Cricket? I loved it. They were a sweet and fun couple that made my heart melt. Cricket was just another ideal guy who I fell in love with. His determination to prove he's not the same guy was so endearing. And the fact that he loved Lola for her individuality was so cute. I just don't know how Perkins can do it again and again and create these amazing guys that just make it so easy to fall in love with!

What was even cooler about this book? WE SEE ANNA AND ETIENNE! Ahhh I was so excited when they made an appearance...and then another...and another! I was assuming they'd make a cameo or get a quick reference, but no, they were actual characters in this book. It worked out perfectly, because they didn't steal the spotlight, they were strong supportive characters and we get just the right amount of updates.

Lola and the Boy Next Door is a fun and quirky love story that is just as enjoyable as Anna and the French Kiss. Perkins is able to create such a drastically different, but just as wonderful, story that you can't help falling in love with. Each character stands out on their own and only adds to the funkyness of the story. I absolutely love everything about this book- the wardrobe, setting, characters, love, and quirkiness of it all. This is definitely another 5 star book that just sucks you in and makes you love every character in it!

7 comments:

  1. Stephanie Perkins has such a talent for writing romance! I loved this book too - my review's going up tomorrow. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to read lola sooo badly. unfortunately amazon hasn't delivered my pre-order yet :_(. your review just made me all the more eager for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly think this will be the next book I read after Mara Dyer. I LOVE Mara Dyer so far, but I'm having trouble getting into Noah, because he's soooo arrogant it's driving me NUTS! It sounds like Cricket is the kinda guy I want to read about. :)
    PS I adding your blog to my following list manually instead of through GFC, it looks like it still isn't working! I had that exact same problem a week or so ago and I had to add a couple lines of html code to my blog to fix it. If yours still isn't working let me know and I'll send you the code!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for this one. I loved Anna and I'm happy to hear she makes an appearance! :) Great review.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read both of these! Nice review; now that I know the characters from Anna and the French Kiss make an appearance in Lola, I'm not sure which one I want to try and get my hands on first! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing, I must read this! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how excited I was to see Anna and Etienne again! Stephanie Perkins pretty much owns my heart, I will read anything she writes, her characters are so real! I'm so glad you liked it, of course, I'm not sure who wouldn't :0) Great review!

    ReplyDelete