Enter to win a Signed/Personalized copy of Fever by Lauren DeStefano here

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Harper Scott, trying to come to terms with her perfect older sister June's suicide, takes a road trip and finds love with a mysterious boy who had a connection to June-- and may know more about her sister's life and death than he's telling.

One of my favorite books of all time. I cannot even begin to express the feelings I have for this book. Every aspect of it was wonderful. The story, characters, dialogue, messages conveyed. Everything was pure brilliance on Harrington's part. I've just never read a book that could invoke such strong emotions from me. I cried several times throughout the story and not just teared up, but full on waterworks. The desperation from June and confusion for Harper was so intense. As a sister myself, I truly felt the pain between their relationship and knew that I would be just as lost if I experienced anything quite so tragic.

The story follows sixteen year old Harper as she travels cross country with her best friend Laney and mysterious boy Jake. Harper was my ideal character. She's rebellious, sarcastic, strong willed and the most loving person. My heart broke multiple times throughout this story for Harper and the issues that she's been forced to deal with- her sister's suicide, the screwed up relationship with her parents, the inner turmoil of feelings she develops for Jake- it just feels like the world is against this poor girl, but she takes everything in stride and is constantly putting others before her. She was just amazing.

Harper's best friend, Laney, was also such a well developed character. Despite being spoiled, you still absolutely love her, because she's just as broken as Harper. The relationship between Harper and Laney is just so pure and hilarious. As best friends, they compliment each other so well while being such opposites. They were just perfect together.

And then there was Jake. Oh, Jake. He is seriously my dream guy. Obsessed with music, dry sense of humor, unbelievable dancer, selfless and hot beyond belief. The relationship between him and Harper was a roller coaster of emotions and secrets that kept me wanting more. Several times I was yelling at the pages, "Just kiss!" However, the build up and then climax between these two was incredible. One of the best highs I've seen in a book, ever.

I will sing praise for this book to anyone who is willing to listen. I recommend everyone going out and getting a copy and bunkering down for the saddest and sweetest story you'll ever read. Saving June is one of those books that stays with you even after the last page has been turned. It's story is beautiful and the writing is just amazing. I cannot wait to read more from Harrington and I'm positive that this is just the beginning of her successes as an author.

9 comments:

  1. This is definitely getting a bump on my TBR list! I have it on my kindle from netgalley, but haven't read it yet! I've been hearing really good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristan, what a beautiful review. I have seen this one floating around, but I never paid it much attention. Now I really can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started this...so excited to keep reading. I'm so glad you liked it!
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading this right now and I totally agree, it is soo good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about this book not too long ago and I immediately added it to my to-read list. From your review, it sounds even more amazing than I initially thought. Great review! I can't wait to read the book. =)

    -Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I followed you too :) I love your bog profile! This looks like a great book, I've only heard about it recently but it sounds really good!

    Amy @ Following The Reader

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, after rereading this review (I skipped parts the first time in case they gave something away), I seriously think Random House needs to use your review and plaster it all over the publicity campaign for this book. If only we didn't have to teach tomorrow, I'd stay up all night to finish this one.
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. I yelled "just kiss" a few times too! Such a great read. Very refreshing from all the supernatural books out there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I downloaded this from NetGalley and am excited to read it after seeing such great reviews!

    ReplyDelete