Enter to win a Signed/Personalized copy of Fever by Lauren DeStefano here

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

This was such a fantastically cute book! I honestly couldn't put it down. Hadley is your typical teen with a bit of an attitude who is pissed she's flying to her father's wedding to a woman she's never met. In the airport Hadley meets Oliver, a witty Brit with a knack for making any girl smile. Hilarity ensues.

I loved the lightheartedness of this book despite Hadley's opposition to her father's new wife. The dialogue between Hadley and Oliver is perfectly comical and once again I'm wishing that I'm sitting right along with them just so I can enjoy them even more. You would think I'd be dead set against this book- I mean, hello, insta-love hater right here, but that's not the case with this book. It's attraction Hadley first feels for Oliver, and the long flight to London leaves plenty of time for the two teens to get to know each other even better. The L word is never dropped.

This book is all about making every moment count. I enjoyed that not everything is focused on Hadley and Oliver and instead we see a lot of background on the dynamics of Hadley's family life. It really helped put her relationship with her dad into perspective and didn't make him a secondary after-thought to the story. I also loved the surprise twist as to why Oliver was heading back home and it definitely opened my eyes a little wider just like Hadley's. The writing was fabulous and even though this book wasn't too deep, the cuteness of it, such as the budding relationship between Hadley and Oliver, really makes you fall hard. This was definitely a fast and fun read that'll really leave you smiling.

6 comments:

  1. Aw yay! I Loved this one. It's true it's a lighthearted read despite the serious issues. Glad you enjoyed it too!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked this book.

    I have heard great things about it, and I really need to read it one of these days. Even if it is only because the love interest is called Oliver

    Thanks for the review

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it as well! It does leave you with a smile on your face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this book! Thanks for the wonderful review. :)

    Alexandra~
    http://www.wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love books that take place in a 24-hour period, and I keep hearing great things with this story. Now just to get over my self buying books ban this month, and I can get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how complete this book feels, even though it only takes place over one day, and I love Hadley and Oliver!! I'm so glad you liked it, definitely one of my favorites! Great review :0)

    ReplyDelete