Enter to win a Signed/Personalized copy of Fever by Lauren DeStefano here

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City.

Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard.

Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector.

Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever.

Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin.

Daddy was wrong.



Overprotected was your run of the mill average teen love story. I wasn't really wowed by any particular part of the book- the plot was pretty predictable, the characters didn't really stand out, and the romance was a bit under developed. Plus, the book was riddled with obvious typos that started to frustrate me. Overall, the book just fell flat for me which was disappointing because the story had great potential.

I think my biggest issue was connecting with the main character, Ashlyn. She's an OVERPOTECTED teen socialite with crazy home issues. I felt for the girl because her family is literally falling apart around her, but there were so many times I wanted to shake her and tell her to stand up for herself. She lets her father walk all over her and it isn't till the end when she finally gains a voice. She was just too complacent- she'd whine about not having her freedom but then wouldn't do anything productive to gain it. She was constantly relying on Colin to make her feel better and it made caring for her a little difficult.

I just wish there was something a little extra with this book to push it over the edge for me. Laurens tries to add some drama in the form of Stuart, Ashlyn's ex-bodyguard, but even that scenario felt rushed and overlooked. Add to the fact that Ashlyn's feelings for Colin were more than confusing just left me disconnected with their relationship. The girl initially hates Colin because of their past, but less than 24 hours later she's composing music about him and dreaming of him kissing her. I understand mixed emotions, but Ashlyn's gave me whiplash.

I'm still a great fan of Lauren's previous books, but Overprotected just wasn't a favorite of mine.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I got this when it was free on Amazon the other day and I'll have to get around to reading it soon.

    Nicola @ A Pocket Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had waited and gotten it when it was free! I actually got this book over Christmas and just got around to reading it this past week. I was so bummed though when I saw I could have gotten it on my kindle for free!

      Delete
  2. There goes another great story ruined by terrible writing.The concept is nice and with the right author it could shine.Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise of the book sounds really interesting, but it sounds like the story was lacking. Great review =D
    Tristan @ Reads With Wreckless Abandon

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! I've seen the cover before but never really looked into it. It sounds like it could be better though I'll take a look at her other novels first! Great review Kristan!

    ReplyDelete