Enter to win a Signed/Personalized copy of Fever by Lauren DeStefano here

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and The Bookish. This week's list is...
Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving



1. The Host by Stephenie Meyer- From the summary (Earth has been invaded), I was expecting an overwhelmingly scifi story that was just going to bore me to death. Add on to the fact that Meyer was insanely popular at the time, therefore I had mixed emotions. Instead, I was completely blown away by this book. LOVED the world Meyer built and definitely enjoyed the 'aliens'.




2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- Fun Fact: I actually heard about this book through Stephenie Meyer's website. Anyways, I wasn't a huge fan of the cover and I had only known Collins as a children's writer, so I was under the impression this was going to be a juvenile read. Ummm.....WRONG! Another book I wasn't expecting to fall head over heels for!




3. Cell by Stephen King- I know King is a legendary writer, and so I was expecting Cell to be unputdownable. Plus, the story centered around mindless zombies, an immediate magnet for me. However, the story was just really drawn out in the middle and boring at times. It definitely lacked the spark I was looking for.





4. Unwind by Neal Shusterman- I normally don't read a lot of books in the male POV and I had picked this book up on a whim. The summary sounded interesting but I really wasn't dying to read this book. However, once I did start reading I was totally sucked in! I laughed, I cried, and became deathly afraid of disobeying anyone for the next few days!







5. Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia- I wasn't really thrilled with the cover for this book, but the summary is soooo enticing. It talks about unearthly love, light vs. dark, the sacrifices of love, everything a girl would want in a an angel book. I even read some encouraging reviews saying how GREAT this book was. I bought it. I read it. I HATED it. For me, the book is nothing like its summary. The love is rushed and unreal and the terror is left for the last ten pages. Not a fan. 







6. Across the Universe by Beth Revis- Another book I initially thought was going to be riddled with scifi-ness that wouldn't interest me. There is so much more to this book though! Just proves I shouldn't cast off an entire genre!










7. Cinder by Marissa Meyer- Yet, another book I thought would be too scifi for me. The summary mentions cyborgs and androids in a futuristic New Beijing. There are robots and flying hovercrafts and futuristic medicine. I just wasn't sure if it'd interest me. After seeing all the incredible reviews I bought it and LOVED it! Maybe I really am a closet scifi junky. 





And I really can't think of anymore books that deceived me. So we'll leave it at a Top Seven!

8 comments:

  1. THE HOST! That's one of my fav books ever I totally loved it!! Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about The Hunger Games from Stephenie Meyer's website too.
    Cell was my first SK book and I was thoroughly disappointed - that's by the same Stephen King that everyone raves about, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Unwind! That book KILLED me! Loved The Host as well:)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read The Host, but I will someday! I was hesitant about the Hunger Games at first...that didn't last long once I got going on it though. Great list!

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-21-books-that-were.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic list! New follower via GFC :)

    http://ajarndtbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great List! the host is definitely one of my favorite books of all time!

    My TTT: http://youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com/

    your newest follower,

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been much for scifi either, which is why I've been wary of Across the Universe and even Cinder. But I should give them a try!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Host and The Hunger Games both made it onto my list! I'm not a big sci-fi reader but The Host reeled me in. I'll be interested to see where the sequel goes (when it eventually releases...hopefully sometime soon! *crosses fingers*)

    ReplyDelete