Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
Top Ten Book Confessions
1. I am a recovering dog-earer. It's true! In the past I used to dog ear my books like crazy. I know, its so bad, but I never thought about how it hurts the book- I just didn't want to lose my spot. Now I grab whatever is in reach to use as a bookmark: receipts, post it note, bills...whatever works!
2. I read all of the Harry Potter books out loud. After I started the Harry Potter series and became obsessed with them, I had to share them with my sister. Only problem, at the time she really couldn't read (she wasn't dumb, just young). So I started to read them out loud to her. By the time Deathly Hallows was released my sister could read fine (I think she was in middle school) but it was such a tradition that I still read it out loud to her.
3. I've named my future children after favorite book characters. So I'm not anywhere near ready to be planning for babies, but in my mind I've got baby names picked out already from some of my favorite books.
4. I talked about my Blog in my last job interview. One of the questions HR asked me was what I liked to do in my spare time and immediately I said read. That then broke out into a full on discussion on my book blog and how I review books online which was a great confidence booster during the interview.
5. I don't have a library card. I cringed writing this last one. I moved to this town in the middle of high school and never got around to getting one. Then I went off to college where I had a library on campus. Now that I'm back home again I have no excuse! I tend to just buy the books I want because I have no patience, but a library card would save me a lot of money!
6. I LOVE reading the acknowledgements section of books. Even though I have no idea who most of the people are that the author is thanking, I still love reading them. It's like a little window into the genius behind the book and who was a part of making the book a reality.
7. The majority of Classics bore me. In high school I took an AP literature class which sounded amazing at the time, but turned out to be a nightmare. When I'm forced to read a book I tend to like it even less. I enjoyed a few, such as Pride and Prejudice and Frankenstein, but dragged my feet through To the Lighthouse, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Grapes of Wrath...
8. I sometimes get embarrassed when in the YA section of stores. I look like an Olympic power walker when going to the book store. I normally go with a set book in mind, stalk the shelves for it, and then leave. I'm very self conscious of people judging me over my taste in books, especially when they spot a 23 year old standing next to a 13 year old looking at the same books.
9. I used to cheat with coupons. I used to have a Border's Reward card and get coupons in my email. Anytime I got a coupon I'd print out two and make my sister use one so I could get discounts on two books. Then when I was in college, I used to borrow my friend's B&N card to get the better price because I was too cheap to pay for my own card. Do you know how dumb I looked trying to recite her home phone number at the register?
10. I own a Kindle but hardly use it. I was so psyched when the Kindle first came out thinking I'd load tons of great books on it to take anywhere. However, I can't quit physical books. Even if the Kindle price is cheaper I'll buy the book. Its so gratifying to see my shelves fill up and have books stacked everywhere!