Enter to win a Signed/Personalized copy of Fever by Lauren DeStefano here

Monday, August 6, 2012

Drain You by M. Beth Bloom

Title: Drain You
Author: M. Beth Bloom
Published: July 24, 2012 by Harper Collins
Rating:Photobucket

Quinlan Lacey's life is a red carpet of weird fashions, hip bands, random parties, and chilling by the pool with her on-and-off BFF Libby. There's also her boring job (minimum wage), a crushed-out coworker (way too interested), her summer plans (nada), and her parents (totally clueless). Then one night she meets gorgeous James, and Quinn's whole world turns crazy, Technicolor, 3-D, fireworks, whatever.

But with good comes bad and unfortunately, Quinn's new romance brings with it some majorly evil baggage. Now, to make things right, she has to do a lot of things wrong (breaking and entering, kidnapping, lying, you name it).

There's normal, and then there's paranormal, and neither are Quinlan's cup of Diet Coke. Staying sane, cool, in love, and alive isn't so easy breezy.

A Copy of this Book was Provided by the Publisher for Review

My Review:

Drain You is the average take of paranormal vampires meets teenage angst without any real flare or originality. While reading Drain You I couldn't help thinking that I've heard this story before...namely Twilight. 

The premise of Drain You revolves around Quinn and her need to be different. I appreciate the break from the cookie-cutter MC, but most of the time Quinn comes across as trying too hard to be original, which in my opinion defeats the purpose. She's got a bit of an edgy attitude which was amusing, but for some reason I couldn't connect with her. The majority of my issue lied with her overpowering independence which completely clashed with her neediness once she met the absolutely gorgeous vampire James. It felt like there was a switch in character the second James enters the story which was disappointing.

I also couldn't get past page after page of cliches. The biggest 'no-no' for me was the insta-love. I can never believe a romance when both characters just fall head over heels within the first few pages. I need development and challenges to make me root for them, but when love comes so easily (and then almost instantly followed by sex) I just lose interest. For Quinn and James their obsession for one another was a little nauseating, and very reminiscent of Bella and Edward.

Along with the insta-love there was the underdeveloped love triangle in which Quinn's best friend Morgan had absolutely no chance. There was the odd family of gorgeously ostracized vampires (again very Cullenish) as well as the melodramatic best friend Libby who is completely helpless and just as obsessive as Quinn. Overall, I couldn't help looking for Twilight similarities while reading Drain You. Unfortunately, this vampire book just didn't bring the needed spark to be a stand out book and fell completely flat for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment